Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pumpkin Picking


Last autumn, my boyfriend and I went pumpkin picking.  Instead of going to a nearby farm, we drove about an hour away into the eastern part of Long Island, where we were able to pick pumpkins off their vine.  The experience was one to remember because we really got to pick them off the vein instead of just picking them from a field.  They also offered apple picking at the farm we went to.  Unfortunately, we went late in the season, so there was not that many apples left on the trees.  We did end up with 2 big bags of apples that lasted us a very long time.  The farm also offered hay rides, had playgrounds for the little children, a store where people couple buy fall products/food and roasted corn. Out of the whole day, my favorite part was getting to spend time with my boyfriend.  It was a day that we got to have an adventure, enjoy each other's company and share an experience that we will remember for a life time.


Vocabulary:


1.  Autumn: (noun) -- a season when leaves fall from trees; also called Fall

2.  Eastern: (adjective) -- a direction coming from east

3.  Vine: (noun) -- a stem of a plant

4.  Offered: (verb) -- to say you want to do something for someone

5.  Unfortunately: (adverb) -- to be unhappy about something

6.  Products: (noun) -- something you can sell


Vocabulary Exercise:

Directions:  Complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.

1. There was a huge ______________ coming out the top of my pumpkin.

2. When Tim went to the supermarket, he saw a lot of ______________ that he could buy.

3.  _________________, Sarah was unable to go to the movies with Jim because she was sick with a fever.

4. I ______________ to drive my mother to the store because she did not have her license.

5. During ________________, I love to rake all of the leaves on my grass into one pile and then jump in them.

6. Montauk is on the ______________ side of Long Island.


Grammar Point:

One of the vocabulary words, unfortunately, is an adverb.  An adverb is a grammar term that describes a verb, adjective or another adverb.  It answers the question of how, how often, when and where.  Many times, adverbs have an "ly" at the end of the word, but not all the time.  Some other examples of adverb are,  quickly, slowly, kindly, here, always, early and outside.  Here is a little chart to help you. 



By using this chart and any other internet source, come up with 5 sentences that have at least 1 adverb included in it.  


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog! I love to go pumpkin and apple picking. I bake apple pie with the apples I pick. Great carving as well. I think the adverb chart is very useful and fun. I would have liked to have seen a picture of you both in the picking process. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Pumpkin picking is one of my favorite things to do in the fall! Great choice of vocabulary words.

    ReplyDelete